SEVERAL BENEFITS TO WRITING A BOOK:
- Share message with others!
- Passive Income Stream.
- Sets you apart – 1% of the population ever publishes a book.
- Instant Credibility Booster. Helps you become an authority on a particular topic.
3 BASIC SELF PUBLISHING METHODS:
- DIY: You do nearly everything yourself, from copy, editing to formatting to marketing.
- Assisted: You do some of the work yourself, but you also hire a team of editors, designers, publicists, etc. to help in the skills you don’t currently have.
- Hybrid Model: You hire a publishing company to take on the complete “publisher” role but allowing you to retain full ownership of your project and earnings.
METHOD USED AND ROYALTIES
- I used Wasteland Press for my first book. It was not perfect but got my book up and published quickly. You pick a plan and get anywhere from 15-30% royalty for paperback and they will add on a Kindle, Nook or Apple version for a small fee and you get 70% royalty. I would probably do it differently next time like using CreateSpace.
- My book paperback is priced at $12.00 and Kindle priced at $7.99.
- Traditional Publisher: You ONLY get 5–15% royalty, don’t control art, pricing, slow process, less control, don’t own print license.
- A simple and quick way to self-publish is to go to CreateSpace (owned by Amazon), check the box that you want to be both paperback and Kindle, pick a cover, upload your manuscript, and in a few days you will be published on Amazon and people can start buying your book.
- Amazon has a self-publishing service called Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) at https://kdp.amazon.com
- Amazon gives you 70% royalty if you price your e-book between $2.99 and $9.99. You can do whatever you want creatively.
BOTTOM LINE – Just get started writing and there are plenty of platforms to help you get it published and printed and distributed.
FYI – Chandler Bolt has a great blog about self-publishing at Self-PublishingSchool.com